Friday, February 10, 2012

Miss Black Teen Ohio Speaks: Living out my dreams


 Hey Everyone!
Being Miss Black Teen Ohio has exceeded my expectations. I   know I have a responsibility to myself and my community to make this the best year possible. I am really excited about presenting my Beyond Beautiful workshop to young girl around Ohio. This workshop will challenge middle school girls to set their own standard and definition of beauty. My first presentation will be at Saint Stephen Community House on February 7! Having this title has taught me so much about myself; I have the courage to go into my community and bring about change, and inspire others and can only hope that my peers follow in my footsteps.  I recently signed up for a volunteer position with Red Cross and can’t wait to see where this program takes me and how many wonderful people I will meet along the way. As Miss Black Teen Ohio everyday is learning experience, because the second I walk out that door I represent myself my family and now The Miss Black USA foundation. I have learned to stay grounded and not let the title get to my head, As Miss Black Teen Ohio I am grateful for all the past opportunities I have received such being feature on WLWT News and look forward to all the opportunities coming my way.  !  I first entered the pageant wanting to inspire the youth to live a drug free lifestyle, which I do throughout the year and my daily actions. Inspiring the youth to stay drug free is something I have been doing since my involvement with Youth to Youth International my sophomore year. So, I have decided to challenge myself, and by that I want to give back to my community by volunteering and inspire young girls. I have reached out to places like the Red Cross and Saint Jude hospital, and as previously stated I created my Beyond Beautiful Workshop! I feel like my year is going by so fast and just trying to drink it all in! My reign so far has just been a blessing and huge learning experience! Below I posted a list of events and speaking engagements, so you all can stay up to date with my current happenings!
February 4th – I had an interview with Buckeye Kids, stay tuned to read that article!
February 7th – I presented my Beyond Beautiful Workshop, pictures/videos coming soon!
February 11th - Ebony Jewels and Gem Cotillion with Miss Black Ohio
Feb 12th- I have a meeting with Role Model Magazine this magazine “Educates, Inspire, Empower Celebrates young women!  I am on their teen advisory board, and the even offered me the cover for the next issue!!!
February 14 – State House Visit with Miss Black Teen Ohio, to meet and greet with state representatives.  
Feb 21st -Beyond Beautiful Workshop at Cassidy Elementary
Feb 18th - Event in Dayton with Rise sister Rise and Girls Scouts
Feb 25th - Volunteer training with the Red Cross
March 1 -2 –Volunteering with Saint Jude Hospital
March 3-4, I will be on Youth staff! With Youth to International at the Middle School Camp!
March 24th – “Step by Step Run To Fight Human Trafficking”   I'm on the committee organizing this 5K to bring awareness to Human Trafficking! Please register and support! All the money will be donated a Rahabs Hideaway a non-profit who addresses the issue of human trafficking and works with victims…You can register at stepbystep5k.eventbrite.com
Don't let world change your smile, let your smile change the world
With love, your Miss Black Teen Ohio Dominique Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment