Monday, December 12, 2011

Miss Black Ohio Speaks: It's All About Sisterhood!

As I prepare for the Miss Black USA contestant Fashion Shoot in DC and continue to look for events and ways to be active in my community, I am beginning to see very clearly how important the Miss Black USA organization is. In the last few days I have been in contact with three fellow Miss Black Ohio USA's, spoken quickly with Miss Black Illinois (my roommate for the Red Dress photo shoot), joined a contestant group and become Facebook friends with about 20 of my fellow Sister Queens. Through these interactions I have seen more friendliness, joy, love, giving, and help then I could have ever imagined.

I was able to contact Miss Black Ohio 2010 a few days ago. She gave me some valuable advice, showed me her blog from 2010 and provided some useful suggestions on what I should do next! Following my discussion with her I spoke with Miss Black Ohio 2011. She spoke with me for almost an hour sharing stories from her experience, giving me advice and promising to be a helping hand throughout my journey.

In addition to my interactions with the Ashley- Miss Black Ohio 2010- and Brittainy- Miss Black Ohio 2011-Whitney Gaskins, Miss Black Ohio 2009, has been a tremendous help as well. I am sure that during her year of service she learned the same lesson that I am currently learning. Sisterhood, is a vital part of our strength as women. With this knowledge she is now the head of the Miss Black Ohio USA organization, and a driving force behind everything that we do.

I am so blessed to have become a part of the Miss Black USA sisterhood. The women that I have already met have proved to be strong, hard working, determined and loving ladies who truly desire to make a difference in this world. I hope that I can continue the legacy of the Miss Black Ohio queens who came before me and become an influential part of the Miss Black USA organization throughout my year of service and beyond!

With love,
Kayla Hardimon

No comments:

Post a Comment